Recipe of the Month - Green Papaya Salad
Green Papaya Salad
½ green papaya, peeled and sliced
1 shallot, finely sliced
½ cup bean sprouts
1 small carrot, peeled and cut into thin strips
1 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
½ bunch Vietnamese balm leaves, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons peanuts, roasted and crushed
3 tablespoons sugar
2 ½ tablespoons lime juice
1 ½ tablespoon fish sauce
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 long red chill, deseeded and thinly sliced
1. Peel and finely slice the green papaya and carrot, then place them in cold water for five minutes to separate the strands and wash off any of the sticky milk from green papaya
2. Drain well and place in a bowl with the remaining salad ingredients
3. To make the dressing place in a bowl with sugar and lime juice in a small bowl and whisk until the sugar has dissolved.
4. Add the remaining dressing ingredients
5. Pour dressing onto the salad and gently toss.
6. Server immediately
Chef Phan Thị Duyên hails from Hải Dương province. She learnt the cuisine of Northern Vietnam from an early age watching and assisting her mother as she prepared the family meals, before heading to Hanoi to attend culinary college.
Chef Duyen was a founding staff member at the Hanoi Cooking Centre where she ran Vietnamese, International and Children’s cooking classes and street food tours for nine years.
Duyên has appeared in Gordon Ramsey’s Asian Adventures and Vietnam Iron Chef.
Chef Duyen now shares her passion, knowledge and expertise in Vietnamese cuisine and the Hanoi street food scene in her own business: Chef Duyen’s Home Cooking Classes and Tours.
Chef Duyen shows you around her neighbourhood, introduces you to local people and local activities, cooking & eating outside their houses and selling produce at local markets. She then invites you into her home.
In a ‘hands-on’ cooking class Chef Duyen will teach you how to make some of these local delicacies. Learn about Vietnamese cuisine and experience the flavours and tastes for yourself in the comfortable home of local Hanoian, Duyen Phan.
Chef Duyen offers the following tours:
* Cooking Class & Market Tour
* Local Market & Street Food Tour
* Wholesale Market Tour
* Village Tour
For more information contact Chef Duyen at +84 0387 941 737 or [email protected]